Since 1969, the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) has promoted the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. The purpose of RPAC is clear: REALTORS® raise and spend money to elect candidates who understand and support their interests. The money to accomplish this comes from voluntary contributions made by REALTORS®. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® in recognition of how important campaign fundraising is to the political process. RPAC doesn’t buy votes. RPAC enables REALTORS® to support candidates that support the issues that are important to their profession and livelihood.
Several issues that RPAC has assisted Rhode Island REALTORS® with in 2014 include:
REALTORS® will NOT risk a fine of $5,000 per day for failure to provide a lead disclosure
REALTORS® keep their freedom to work independently
Home sales will not trigger mandatory cesspool replacement
No new climate change restrictions on property owners
Some details you may find helpful:
- Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and used for political purposes.
- The amounts indicated are only suggestions and you may give more or less or refuse to contribute without affecting your membership rights.
- 70% of contribution is used by the Rhode Island RPAC to support state and local political candidates.
- 30% of each contribution is sent to national RPAC. Of that amount, 90% is used by national RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2US.C.44a, while the remaining 10% is used for other federal grassroots political activities.
- Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purpose
Corporate donations are prohibited. Under both Federal and State law only personal contributions (checks not drawn from corporate accounts.)