REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC)
Since 1969, the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) has promoted the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. The purpose of RPAC is clear: REALTORS® raise and spend money to elect candidates who understand and support their interests. The money to accomplish this comes from voluntary contributions made by REALTORS®. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® in recognition of how important campaign fundraising is to the political process. RPAC doesn’t buy votes. RPAC enables REALTORS® to support candidates that support the issues that are important to their profession and livelihood.
Several issues that RPAC has assisted Rhode Island REALTORS® with include:
Successfully fought a real estate conveyance tax in Newport which had statewide implications.
REALTORS® keep their freedom to work independently
Home sales will not trigger mandatory cesspool replacement
No new climate change restrictions on property owners
Some details you may find helpful:
- Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and used for political purposes.
- The amounts indicated are only suggestions and you may give more or less or refuse to contribute without affecting your membership rights.
- 70% of contribution is used by the Rhode Island RPAC to support state and local political candidates.
- 30% of each contribution is sent to national RPAC. Of that amount, 90% is used by national RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2US.C.44a, while the remaining 10% is used for other federal grassroots political activities.
- Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purpose
Corporate donations are prohibited. Under both Federal and State law only personal contributions (checks not drawn from corporate accounts.)
This section of Commercial Licensing issues licenses to candidates who meet the regulatory requirements for real estate brokers and salespersons. It also regulates real estate schools’ curriculum and contracts with a testing vendor to provide licensing exams. This section also protects consumers by investigating and disciplining licensees who violate laws and regulations.
— William J. DeLuca, Administrator, Real Estate
Voter Information Center
Click the link below to learn more about elections and voting in Rhode Island.
My REALTOR® Party
The REALTOR® Party is a powerful alliance of REALTORS® and REALTOR® Associations working to advance public policies and candidates that build strong communities, protect property interests and promote a vibrant business environment.
RI Legislative Update
The Government Affairs Committee uses the following system to rank legislative priorities to give direction to RIAR Government Affairs staff and RIAR contract lobbyists.
- Strongly support – RIAR staff will submit written or oral testimony in support of the bill, tell legislators that RIAR supports the bill; media outreach, call to action to members.
- Support – submit written or oral testimony in support of the bill; tell legislators that RIAR supports the bill
- (a) Monitor – RIAR staff will track the status of the bill but take no position. Staff will report back to the Government Affairs Committee if there are any changes to the bill or the political situation at the State House.
(b) Actively monitor – RIAR staff will discuss intent and background bill with sponsor and report back to committee.
- Oppose – submit written or oral testimony in opposition to the bill; tell legislators that RIAR opposes the bill.
- Strongly oppose – RIAR staff will submit written or oral testimony in opposition to the bill, tell legislators that RIAR opposes the bill; media outreach, call to action to members.
No action = RIAR has chosen to take no position on this issue after determining that is not relevant to real estate or for other political considerations. No further action is required by RIAR staff.