Effective January 1, 2001, all REALTOR® Members (this includes Appraisers) shall complete a training program on the Code of Ethics of not less than two hours and thirty minutes of instructional time. Any Code of Ethics training must meet the learning objectives and minimum criteria established by the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). Thereafter, every member must complete this course once every two years.
We are currently in the seventh Biennial period of January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021.
There is no grandfathering on this membership requirement. No exemption for Appraisers. No exemptions for Attorneys holding Broker’s Licenses. The only exemption is for REALTOR® Emeritus Members.
OTHER UPCOMING CODE OF ETHICS TRAINING FOR 2021:
RIAR Live Zoom Session, February 5, 2021
- Instructor: Kevin Dumont
- Counts Toward: CORE Sales & Broker LIcense Renewal, Broker 90, CRI **This course is approved as part of GRi-202**.
- Course Fee: RIAR Member $40 | Non-Member $65
NAR Code of Ethics Online Training
In this course, students will take a journey examining the professional standards enforcement process, reviewing the duties of Articles 1 and 12 of the Code of Ethics, and exploring NAR’s mediation experience. In the professional standards enforcement overview, students will study the Code of Ethics and its structure, the history of the Code of Ethics, and how complaints and arbitration requests are processed. In the review of Article 1, students will learn about the Code’s duty to protect and promote the interests of the client, placing the client’s interests first and the obligation to treat all parties honestly. In the review of Article 12, students will learn about the Code’s duty to be truthful in all real estate communications, present a true picture in all marketing, and make known the student’s status as a real estate professional readily apparent.
The CE Shop
Code of Ethics in Action: Real-Life Applications – $29.00
As a real estate professional, you’re bound to encounter ethical dilemmas from time to time. Enter The Code of Ethics in Action: Real-Life Applications. In this course, you’ll review each Article within the NAR Code of Ethics, gain insight into recent changes, and discover important takeaways you can employ in your practice.
Code of Ethics: Good for Your Clients and Your Business – $29.00
A solid ethical foundation is an essential part of your real estate practice. That’s why the National Association of REALTORS® asks its members to follow its Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Updated regularly, this Code was first adopted in 1913 and consists of 17 Articles along with supporting Standards of Practice.
Ethics at Work – $29.00
Recognize and respond to ethical dilemmas, inspiring consumer confidence. Exemplify the professionalism and cooperation that’s the true foundation of the real estate industry.
C2EX Endorsement for Existing Members
- NAR’s Commitment to Excellence (C2EX) program fulfills the Code of Ethics Training Requirement for existing members
- An Endorsement empowering REALTORS® to evaluate, enhance and showcase their highest levels of professionalism
- Not eligible for CE credits
Check Your Code of Ethics Status
To see whether you have completed the course for the current cycle, check the National Association of REALTORS site and select the “View My Education Records” using your NRDS login information. If you do not know your NRDS number, please follow the prompts or contact RICABOR.
All Members of the Rhode Island Commercial and Appraisal Board of REALTORS® may select one of the following options in order to comply for this biennial:
1. Successfully complete the program we offer in conjunction with The CE Shop. Browse their RI course catalog and then select either Code Ethics Course # C006 or C008. There is a charge for the class, but you will receive CEU’s.
2. Successfully complete the National Association of REALTORS® online Code of Ethics Class. This class is available at any time to all members at no cost. You will have an opportunity to select a residential or commercial track. You will be required to login with your www.nar.realtor Username and Password. If you have not registered on this site, click on “register here” and follow the directions. If you have previously registered and have now misplaced your login and password, use the search features to look that up.